Home

Friday, August 5, 2011

Citizen's Economics

A lot has been going on in the past few weeks, and it's hard to even know where to start. First, I'll start with the job status. Without jinxing myself too much, there is very possibly something in the works that will keep me at OL for the long term. I am both excited and terrified. I didn't necessarily want to stay in DC long term, and I definitely don't want to be away from Babe indefinitely. But, as I'll mention in more detail below, we are both learning so much about ourselves being here and working and gaining experience, that we are for the first time really feeling challenged, and happy, and engaged in what is happening in the world around us, and as a result we are feeling even closer to each other and motivated to keep striving for large goals than ever. I am hoping that things work out for me to keep working here. I like the work, and even better like how it makes me feel about myself, my qualifications, and about my future. Babe and I are a team, a force to be reckoned with I feel, working our butts off to be contributing members of society, and to be happy together doing it. I am beginning to realize that a few months apart here or there isn't going to change that.

Having said all that, it is a very interesting time to be in DC, and to have an awareness of what is happening in our country. I started this blog to discuss my frustrations with the job market, and after spending time on Capitol Hill and watching Congress duke it out over the debt ceiling, I am more convinced than ever that there are some very serious complexities to all of this that are worth trying to understand, because it ties into why employment is the way it is right now, which effects my life directly on a daily basis. What is more, Babe and I are becoming more and more aware of what aspects of these complexities interest us. We are both first and foremost scientists, yes, but science is so much more integrated than that. I am learning I have an appreciation for the sociological aspects, how people understand issues such as climate change, how it impacts them, their decisions, etc. Babe is making a very strong effort to get educated, ask questions, and understand the economics behind what is going on in this country right now, how economics relates to science and vice versa. The product of that effort is a new blog: www.citizenseconomics.blogspot.com. It's good stuff, and if you are interested, I encourage you to stop on by.

This post does very little justice to what is going on right now, but i'm out the door to enjoy a weekend of absolutely nothing. I promise I'll write more later....

Hope you are all well!

No comments:

Post a Comment