The people I work with (most of them) are really great. One lady goes out of her way constantly to compliment me, tell me how well I am doing, and let's me know that my being around really helps her out. I must say, it feels good to be wanted, to feel like I am good at something, and to be verbally and publicly recognized for it. I do feel luck to have a good job and to work with good people. My aunt had to throw in a jab the other day to my mom "Yeah, but is it in her field?" My new goal is to try to block out negativity from people like her and focus on what makes me happy. Today I am happy to even have a job, one that allows me to learn new things and work with great people who support me.
This coming year is going to be hard, which brings me to my opening statement that this blog I feel will become more about our day-to-day journey than about my own soul and career searching. Which is fine; the personal stuff is probably more interesting anyway. For the record, I am still heartbroken that I will not be going, even though I ultimately made the decision myself. I don't doubt logically that I am making the right decision, but the wanderlust in me wants to screw realism, ditch the job, and go. However, in the spirit of improving attitudes, I am going to prove to myself that I am still that independent woman I have always been and make it through the coming year with flying colors. So far I have accumulated several things on my to-do list, all intended to keep my life balanced, fulfilling, and busy. These things include:
-Redecorating! Babe and I live in a charming one bedroom apartment with a large kitchen and full dining room. Now that I am planning to stay for another year and a half, I am itching to redecorate. First on my list is a new couch and upgrade to a queen sized bed. Other things on the wish list include wall decorations and new ways to store things to reduce clutter. Ideas?? Pictures?? Suggestions?? : )
-Work! Obviously. I do work pretty much everyday, which keeps me pretty structured and busy (which I prefer). But within my job, there are things I would like to get off the ground, new projects, etc and with a bit of experience and seniority under my belt, it should be exciting!
-Gym membership and volunteering. I contemplated ditching the membership to save money, but I love going! And let's be honest, reading to dogs for two hours a week is pretty much the most fun volunteering I've ever done (plus let's me daydream about reading hopefully very soon to my own little puppy).
-Travel! Of course I have big plans to visit DC as much as possible, or as much as finances will allow. But I have friends all over the place, and can go home to MN too, to occupy my time during those few days off I get now and then.
-School! Exclamation point? I'm still adjusting to the idea...I am hoping to enroll in a course or two in the fall to start thinking more seriously about a second master's program, professional track this time. Not sure yet what's going to happen there, but I will keep you posted!
That is what I have so far! I'm sure I'll think of others along the way...maybe I'll try a new recipe each week and blog about how it went! Maybe I'll start a book club! Or weekly dinners at my house with friends. Who knows! Ideas and suggestions are welcome. For now, I am going to head home to enjoy the last few weeks Babe and I still have together.
No comments:
Post a Comment