Home

Friday, July 16, 2010

Sad News and Perspective

There's nothing like a bit of sad news to shake you back into reality and what is truly important. A friend of mine from high school, who was a year behind me and was very close with my brother, passed away earlier this week while fighting overseas. He was recently married, and was a very talented artist and musician, not to mention a very interesting person. He will be missed and my thoughts go out to his family and his new wife. What a tragedy.

At least from my experience, it is so easy to fall into routine and get caught up in everyday happenings. I can get upset that I had a rough day at work, or that there aren't enough hours in the day to get things done, or have a small spat with my boyfriend because I feel like I need more help sometimes. And then something happens that forces me to look around and realize how quickly life can change, and how lucky I really am at this point in my life. Does it really matter if the dishes don't get done for one day, or that I had a bad day at work? Of course it doesn't. Tomorrow is always a new day, to get things done, to have a better day at work, etc etc. Perhaps it is wise in those harder moments of everyday life to take a second and acknowledge how grateful I am, to have a steady job, to have the people around me that I love, to have a roof over my head, and possibilities for the future.

Rest in Peace, Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment